1. Server IP: potatomc.com | Hope to see you there!
    Dismiss Notice

Should we reset?

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Amazing, Nov 29, 2017.

?

Should we revamp & reset PotatoMC?

1. Yes

32.7%
  2. No

67.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amazing

Amazing Owner
    Staff Member Owner

Hello members of PotatoMC.

It's been a while, I know... and I'm sorry.

The server has been up for a little over 5 months, and at this point I would say it's safe to say that the player count has severely decreased from our first couple of months.

I personally feel that PotatoMC needs a revamp, and a reset. An entirely new experience for you all to enjoy. (donor ranks would be kept)

This thread is meant for me to simply ask the community their thoughts on this idea... do you think we should revamp & reset PotatoMC? Or should we keep it the way it is right now and periodically apply updates to the current server?

Please vote on the Poll located within this thread, the outcome of this vote will decide the future of the server.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT/UPDATE:

We have decided to reset PotatoMC once the new minecraft update is released (1.13).

Will will allow players to keep playing on the current version of PotatoMC, even after the reset - you will be able to access both servers (you'll need to type /server legacy to connect).

Once the official release date of Minecraft 1.13 has been announced, I will post a thread with specifics on PotatoMC 2.0.

Closing this thread as I believe the discussion has concluded, thank you all for your input!

#1 Amazing, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. RiseAgainstThem

RiseAgainstThem New Member

I by no means pretend to speak for everyone. This is merely my take on the situation. I think some people feel they put a lot of work into - and are proud of the work they've done on the server. I think most of the dwindling is due to school and the lack of certain features. I think reestablishing the End and general updates you suggested would do the server good.

I can't promise you'll have the numbers you had in the summer, that's what the votes are for. I personally enjoy the server I've grown to love.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Theet

Theet Member

Personally I don't think a reset is necessary, I for one have put alot of work and effort into this server and my current build etc, as Rise says.. Fixing some of the current issues the server has like "The end", "[item]". "Netherboss" "Black Market Vendor", would do a huge difference.
    The lack of interference from the staff team and the lack of updates is through my personal experience a huge step towards the server "dying out". I do want to see the server thrive and I dont want anything but the players happy.. That being said i feel like that would'nt happen without staff "caring" more about the players than they currently do. something as simple as getting our prefixes for buying a Super OP Bundle, i do feel forgotten... it's been over a month since i bought that, and I know that i'm not the only one still missing it.

I do realise that the staff team and especially the owners, has a lot of important stuff to do. but at least try to make the time to come online, and interact with the playerbase, previously is has been almost impossible to get a hold of an owner, and alot of the time its been impossible even to get a hold of a staff...

Fix the issues on the server as they come instead of letting them just pile up, would change alot to the server.

Also maybe give the Mods, or at least some of em, more tools to help out, when owners aren't online, like deleting claims, breaking locked signs, ability to hand out prefixes, commands that owners previously was the only one who could help us out with. cause i feel like that has been a big problem on the server aswell, people changing their names and are now unavailable to access chests, doors etc.

Best of luck, hope to see more involvement from the staff team <3
    - Theet

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Lucy_Bear

Lucy_Bear Guest

I love this server and the people on it i would like to see diff things and agree that the amount op people has dwindled but that is because of school and other things if there is a revamp i would hope i would not loose my builds and all that i have collected to form a warehouse and shop

But if this has to happen it happens

5. xGodChewyx

xGodChewyx Guest

6. xGodChewyx

xGodChewyx Guest

I think we should bc then we can have a better cumite
    if we just play like it is ppl just get op op an op even the members

7. chewy

chewy New Member

I think we should bc they will just get banned on purpose an they will just get bourd of the sever:(

8. Theet

Theet Member

Im not really sure what you're talking about Chewy... I think u misunderstand the meaning of "Reset"

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Not yet

Not yet Guest

I think that the server shouldn't reset just yet. Maybe do some other thing that will encourage players to join.

One thing is for sure, stop faking your player count @Amazing . I love the server but the fact that you guys have to lie discouraged me from playing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. TeddyAlan

TeddyAlan New Member

When it comes to the thought of a server reset, most people scatter. Some are scared and some just want it to happen. Yes, the fears of losing their builds, their money and so forth is understandable, but a reset will only give you the chance to do things in a different way, but with an actual fresh start. I highly enjoy this server and have been playing since July 10th, and to me, I am in the middle on this. A server restart would neither scare me and I don't actively want it to happen. The server does have a lot of issues, but if it is restarted and revamped, we will be forced to show our attention elsewhere until it is back up. But there's also things on the server that actually need paying attention to that might not be able to be fixed without a restart. I have two questions. How long would it actually take you to "revamp & reset" PotatoMC? How would you plan on fixing the current issues without doing a "revamp & restart"? For now, I'll stay neutral and maybe decide in the next couple of days which side I weigh more on. But I need some kind of reassurance that any of this is actually going to work and not completely make PotatoMC into a whole new server that no one even recognizes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SpinningWorld

SpinningWorld Member

Yes, the server should be reset, I have been here since the beginning (pretty much) and I would love a reset. I will admit I haven’t been on recently, but a reboot would convince me to revisit the server, and Minecraft as a whole.

• Like Like x 1
  12. strfry

strfry New Member

Absolutely NO,

The main world is BIG, If some one wants a reset, Just tell them to move out
    100,000 or 200,000 blocks.
    You will find Virgin open space and more Biome s than you
    can shake a stick at.

I have been exploring for months. Barly done a 90 degree sweep
    At leasy while I can take the lag on my 0.7 Mbit/s Verizon High speed,
    Actually Verizon. Slow speed. I have found more Mooshrooms, ans Ice Spikes
    them I can count, I have done invites many times,

Got a /playerwarp ices that is broken, It states that I do not own it, but It is listed
    as mine on the GUI. I Have two warps I need to keep, and one free left to use for invites. : - (

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. GEAUXMEZ

GEAUXMEZ Guest

Honestly I've only been playing for the past couple days and i cant really decide if i want to let the server get reset or not because I've been here for a short amount of time, but I've already done so much (in my eyes) on this server that i would hate to see it go away, so i would have to say no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. strfry

strfry New Member

A reset will not clear the ban list

We are talking about clearing the blocks
    and Rolling in a new world of blocks.

I can only hope mcmmo stats, job stats and moneys
    are copied over.

But like I said there exists a lot of virgin land you can just move,
    If you do not like your home move.

The only valid Reason to reset would be like Version 1.14.1 with so much
    new stuff that are incompatible with our version.

15. strfry

strfry New Member

A reset, I can tell you will lose more players, not add them.
    i for one will have less desire to stay, although I have not
    found another I would switch to.

You need developer level staff that are on line a lot more
    To fix bugs and help users. The [mod]s can not fix things
    your mod abilitys are To my knowledge mods are only chat police
    Don't get me wrong chat police are required.

We need to get rid of stupid add-ons like the Auto cleaner.
    the game knows how to clean up with out the Auto Thief.
    The Auto Thief has taken many precious blocks of mine like
    Spawners and Shulker boxes. I hate the Auto thief.

If the dragon is breaking the end you need to make it
    so the dragon will not spawn, having no end is a problem
    that needs to be fixed.

no reset, just a fix up -1000

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Misabellerino

Misabellerino New Member

I've been on PotatoMC for a while, enough to notice:
    • Lack of staff
      • Solved by giving staff more to do, maybe a goal for them to be online. Staff of the week, staff of the month, playervoted staff etc.
      • Staffmembers that already exist need follow the staff code of conduct, to prevent new players from leaving due to their irresponsibility or immaturity. I multiple times see staff members acting as if they are normal players that would get warnings, but since they are staff they have a protection from such. As well as members that are close friends with staff that get the ability to act outside the rules, simply because they know someone with power.
      • Do followup on current staff and be actively on the lookout for new staff. Making sure current staff is active and fulfills the requirements in place for being a staff member is important. And firing someone due to their incompetance to complete these requirements is reasonable, even when low on staff. Having many bad staffmembers is worse than having a few good ones.
    • Lack of updates and bugfixes
      • Post updates every two weeks, and make sure you're bringing up the issues that you are aware of, and your progress in solving them. And when I write progress, I mean that you need to sit down and spend some more time both solving the issues and looking to your playerbase for potential other bugs you don't know of.
    • Lack of activity among staff
      • I think we all can agree on the fact that a server is much more enjoyable if an owner is online and talks to his/her playerbase, than an inactive one.
      • Staff needs to be online as well, and they need to not only solve problems and make sure everyone sticks to the rules, they're there to make the server more enjoyable. Asking new players to help them out or giving them a reason to keep playing is so powerful and it helps any server grow.
    I believe these issues should be solved before any potential resets. However I completely understand how a reset can give you a fresh mindset of how to do things better, based on what you already have done. But abandoning a project simply to possibly screw it up again (because you don't know how to solve the current issues) will not help you at all.

This bunny won't load.. *sadface*

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#16 Misabellerino, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Jonbobro

Jonbobro Active Member

No reset most of us have put a lot of work into our builds and home and I feel like you would lose more people then gain by resetting. I have been promised by you @Amazing that there won't be a reset for at least a year when I joined about 4 months ago. what needs to get added, like I have been told by system*, is the skyblock server to be added and there needs to be a few more custom features added to skyblock/survival that would set this server apart. If you are gonna reset keep survival as it is now OP SURVIVAL and do it on your 1 year anniversary.
    If I need to go on with all my ideas and tips and tricks I have picked up from 4 years of playing sb servers I will but not here.
    * still think system needs to be removed he is no longer mentally stable and is power hungry

- alpha alpha alpha alpha alpha alpha alpha alpha alpha alpha alpha alpha alpha alpha alpha alpha alpha null

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Jonbobro

Jonbobro Active Member

XD well just ask system hell perm ban for just saying he spelled something wrong

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DaylightAnkeny

DaylightAnkeny Active Member

Hello, Nick.

Thank you for this forum post, and showing some activity on the forums.

__________________________________________________________________________________

I think there should NOT be a server reset.

• If the server resets you might risk the issue of loosing more players.
    • Instead of doing a reset and revamp... Just do a revamp.
    • I would absolutly love to see the server added with new things.
    _________________________________________________________________________________

Some things that should be added

• More active staff members. We have alot of staff but few of them are actually active and take care of the server.
    • More YouTubers. Look back to the crainer days. 400+ player count. That is something that I would love to see on the server.
    • Make something that makes the server unique and makes players want to come online.
    • Give new players more starting money. Give them a decent kit. Something that they can be confident about staying.
    • Add mini-games. Perhaps some spleef, hunger games.
    • Add a better chat filter. There have been tons of advertisers targeting our server.
    __________________________________________________________________________________

More staff interaction

• Yes, there are some staff online. I'm talking about staff that actually has permissions.
    • My chests and doors have been locked for over 2 months now. C'mon, thats just terrible.
    • Show that you care about the server by getting caught up on ranks, name changes.
    • Nick, Please give somone permissions for the Mob Arena. That was a great idea, and I loved participating in that game.
    • Give a trusted staff member permissions to unlock chests and doors.
    Also implememnt the idea System had. His idea allows players to change their own prefixes.

https://potatomc.com/threads/suggestion-server.451/

Update the server rules

• Im talking about those "Unlisted Rules" that we all know.
    • Make sure all the staff are on the same page on what they can and should be banning for.
    • Many people have been getting banned for "Advertising" Hypixel. That is just stupid if you ask me. Hypixel is the biggest server on minecraft and every single minecraft player knows it exists.
    • Stop instant banning players for accidentally mentioning other servers. Some of my friends that I have gotten to know know on the serer have been banned for accidentally mentioning servers. Take for instance, @FlappyBird73, @goldenpie6. They were a legend donor and were banned for mentioning a server.
    After somone may accidentally mention a server...
    • Give them a 10 minute mute.
    • Warn them for advertising
    • Clear the chat
    Its as easy as that. if they choose to advertise again, you may use more harsh dicipline.

Nick, I love your server. I never want to see it get shut down. Just keep adding changes and keep getting players online

I love all of you <3 Everyone, Keep playing, Keep up the hard work.

#19 DaylightAnkeny, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. KFC_boxmeal

KFC_boxmeal Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I get where most people are coming from on the reset side. However I believe dwindling numbers are mainly due to newer players not sticking around. This i believe is mainly due to the fact that there is no percievable way for them to 'catch up' so are left with nothing to do other than just build. They cant pvp, they will just be killed and they cant participate in the market as they dont have sufficient funds. I believe fixing this problem and giving newer players a way to fight similarly skilled/ranked players in a rank based pvp system or implementing ways in which newer players can make money other than voting and jobs, which without op tools dont actually provide that much income, would encourage new players to stick around without feeling out of place among the 15 or so potato gods/kings on at peak times.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.